Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Printed music, as opposed to performed or recorded music.‘a pile of sheet music’
- ‘Reports on fleet movements were forwarded by him to Paris through an Italian dealer in sheet music, who interleaved the documents with his sonatas.’
- ‘He also collected songs that had been composed by known writers, performed on the minstrel stage, printed as sheet music, and commercially recorded on 78 rpm discs.’
- ‘Back in the sixties, I'd found a copy of the sheet music to this record but could never uncover the actual vinyl recording.’
- ‘The shop sold all kind of instruments, sheet music and records.’
- ‘The city's Early Music Foundation is joining forces with York University to set up the York Early Music Press, which will publish pieces as sheet music and on CD-ROM.’
- ‘Today, the main task of publishers is not the publication of sheet music, but for example, the arranging of rights concerning operas, from the libretto to video, CD, DVD, and Internet rights.’
- ‘I have nine books of her bound sheet music, with many songs autographed by the composers and indexed by my father's hand.’
- ‘Using as reference his own collection of sheet music, musical instruments, magazine photographs and records, he has produced an impressive range of paintings and collages.’
- ‘Mementos from this career fill the Crosbyana Room: sheet music and gold records, posters from Crosby's Road movies with Bob Hope, and the Oscar he earned in Going My Way.’
- ‘Teenagers totally rejected adults and their silly pieces of sheet music, and started buying records in droves.’
- ‘When you insert this CD into your computer, you can print the sheet music and sing along!’
- ‘Working from old recordings and sheet music, they've managed to create music at times rousing and danceable, delicate and beautiful.’
- ‘Her name disappeared from the press until 1903, when newspapers announced that she had begun to compose and publish sheet music.’
- ‘Originally, piano rolls were made by hand-punching in a roll to correspond to published sheet music.’
- ‘Founded in 1947, Hal Leonard Corp. was easily the largest publisher of sheet music in the world, an old company in an old industry.’
- ‘Christmas Number One Fact Of The Day: The first ever Christmas number one was a piece of sheet music - in 1945, nobody bothered to count the singles sales.’
- ‘Publications prints and distributes a broad selection of sheet music, books, educational materials, folios, orchestrations and arrangements, as well as tutorials and methods.’
- ‘Music clubs established music schools within settlement houses, sponsored after-school musical activities and donated records and sheet music to public libraries.’
- ‘From instruments and sheet music to the latest innovations in music technology, you will find products to benefit your teaching.’
- ‘Pirates could quickly collect or print more copies of sheet music.’
- 1.1 Music published in single or interleaved sheets, not bound.
- ‘I then proceeded to shuffle through the turmoil of piano sheet music and music books that had accumulated over the years since I started playing… way back in the first grade.’
- ‘We discussed his patents (years earlier) on musical notation, allowing sheet music to be printed out by computers.’
- ‘The girls were busy piling old sheet music into boxes and hanging choir robes on hangers.’
- ‘The collection consists of 3.000 pieces of sheet music, published between 1850 and 1920.’
- ‘His new flute lay across a pile of sheet music on the bed, deliberately set out that way.’
- ‘They can then store or print out the sheet music from tunes they just hammered out.’
- ‘The furniture itself, where it was visible beneath piles of sheet music and literature, was a mismatched set of masterpieces in every style imaginable.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.