Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Metal formed into thin sheets, typically by rolling or hammering.
- ‘Tight faceting suggests plumage, but those feathers could be forged of sheet metal.’
- ‘During the next step the produced upper sandwich was bonded with the lower sheet metal, also by rolling.’
- ‘The only manufacturers in the world to use galvanized sheet metal and structural tubing.’
- ‘You may also need some of that thin sheet metal and some sheet metal cutters.’
- ‘They had set up makeshift cover using old metal crates and some aged and rusted sheet metal.’
- ‘By the Bronze Age drinking vessels were being made of sheet metal, primarily bronze or gold.’
- ‘Gutters on older homes may be wood, galvanized sheet metal, or copper.’
- ‘This is handy for differentiating sheet metal and steel bracings when detecting studs in auto bodies.’
- ‘The bicimolina, a pedal-powered mill, is a fusion of angle iron, sheet metal, and old bicycle parts.’
- ‘You could also have a top of galvanized sheet metal fabricated at a sheet-metal shop.’
- ‘Toe plates are then cut from sheet metal, and pieces of iron are hammered and twisted into shape to form soles and heels.’
- ‘The sheet metal, chromoly tubing, and various parts and pieces that were destroyed can be replaced.’
- ‘Each false tattered edge, painted shadow, smudged scrap of paper and rusted piece of sheet metal is a visual delight.’
- ‘He would also have punches with which to make holes, shears for cutting sheet metal and files for smoothing the metal.’
- ‘Metal clad kalamein windows are wood covered by galvanized sheet metal.’
- ‘Galvanized sheet metal was chosen for the exterior walls and roof because of its economy and durability.’
- ‘Plastic/metal hybrid parts are made up of a thin formed sheet metal profile supported by plastic ribbing.’
- ‘All of the ducting must be smooth-wall galvanized sheet metal - corrugated flex duct is not allowed.’
- ‘Rusted sheet metal, asphaltic roofing, old boards, or slate tiles are other roofing alternatives.’
- ‘The desktop is galvanized sheet metal, a material that is handsome and weather-resistant.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.