One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘When her poems are less successful, it is because they consist sheerly of statement without the augmenting joys of imagination.’
- ‘This is sheerly to satisfy my own curiosity but I'll totally appreciate it.’
- ‘The filibuster is one of those checks in which a majority cannot just sheerly force its will, even if they have a majority of votes in some cases.’
- ‘I did this sheerly for the sake of writerly discipline.’
- ‘On top of that, Baldwin was on the record as having said that his commitment to civil liberties for supposed reactionaries was sheerly instrumental, just a tool for advancing the cause of communism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.