One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘This is sheerly to satisfy my own curiosity but I'll totally appreciate it.’
- ‘On top of that, Baldwin was on the record as having said that his commitment to civil liberties for supposed reactionaries was sheerly instrumental, just a tool for advancing the cause of communism.’
- ‘I did this sheerly for the sake of writerly discipline.’
- ‘The filibuster is one of those checks in which a majority cannot just sheerly force its will, even if they have a majority of votes in some cases.’
- ‘When her poems are less successful, it is because they consist sheerly of statement without the augmenting joys of imagination.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.