Any of a number of boldly marked edible game fishes which live in warm American waters.
- ‘It includes whiting, sand trout, croaker, sheepshead, flounder, redfish and black drum.’
- ‘The inshore division recognizes eight species: croaker, black drum, flounder, gafftop catfish, gar, redfish, sheepshead, and speckled trout.’
- ‘We boxed several Spanish mackerel and speckled trout, plus sheepshead, skipjacks, whiting, sand trout and one small flounder.’
- ‘Samples of the dead birds including cormorants and gulls, fish like carp, gobies and sheepshead, and other wildlife were sent to the University of Guelph for testing, with results not expected until early next week, said Mathers.’
- ‘Some of the common fish species include the freshwater drum, sheepshead, lake sturgeon, spotted suckers, common red-horse, and pumpkinseed.’