Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
People compared to sheep in being docile, foolish, or easily led.‘by the time the sheeple wake up and try to change things, it will be too late’
- ‘It has not made America any more safe but does generate terror to keep the "sheeple" in line.’
- ‘The main difference being just the language employed to baffle the sheeple.’
- ‘By the time the sheeple wake up and attempt to politically change things, it will be far to late.’
- ‘The most depressing part is where the sheeple continue to mindlessly vote for the two main parties, regardless of how badly they have been shafted by the party they support!’
- ‘He keeps having delightfully comic misadventures butting heads with the Doubting Thomases of the world, whom he calls "sheeple."’
- ‘Could it be that the sheeple think, that by owning stock in those companies, they too might profit?’
- ‘Don't hold your breath waiting for most of the sheeple to wake up.’
- ‘I don't possess pack instinct, I'm not a sheeple.’
- ‘The sheeple will probably think the big sparks are just lightning.’
- ‘What better way to control and lead the sheeple of this world to slaughter, or at the least, under total control.’
- ‘To the sheeple the world is just one huge unending pasture, where the grass varies from place to place.’
- ‘The sheepdogs that protect the sheeple from the wolves out there, cannot be gentle vegetarians.’
- ‘This is only a problem if you belong to the "tell me how to think brigade" which frankly includes most university sheeple.’
- ‘Five years of hearing the same thing over and over again and watching American sheeple fall for it over and over again is just too depressing.’
- ‘It seems that sheeple have a suicidal tendency to roll over at the least sign of danger and surrender their liberties willingly.’
- ‘It is a miserable thing to even begin to consider other human beings as sheep, or sheeple.’
- ‘People, despite the cynics, are not sheeple.’
- ‘As for sheeple who are willing to beat each other with mallets to get their hands on a cheap sofa, I just shake my head.’
- ‘I am a lost little sheeple looking for some guidance out of the rocky ravine that is my ignorance.’
- ‘You see the American sheeple are once again being had.’
1940s: blend of sheep and people.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.