Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Protective casing or covering.
casing, covering, sheath, sheathing, wrapper, wrapping, cover, envelope, sleeve, housing, jacket, capsule, folderView synonyms
- ‘Where excess sheathing has been removed, a piece cut from another anchor installation can be used to cover the extra exposed strand.’
- ‘What that freezer needs is new insulation, a new compressor, new condenser, new ducting, new wiring, new motors, new mounts, new hinges, new sheathing.’
- ‘It has protean ocular manifestations and may present with a spectrum of ocular signs, including anterior and posterior uveitis, retinal vascular sheathing, and optic disc abnormalities.’
- ‘The power cable has some UV-reactive blue mesh on it, while the shorter lengths of cable are covered in a UV-reactive blue plastic sheathing.’
- ‘Make sure that only the uncut sheathing is clamped at this opening.’
- ‘Military engineers would choose the site, but specialists known in the British army as ‘tin boatmen’ because of the metal sheathing of the pontoons would construct it.’
- ‘We run each bit of riser through our fingers, checking visually and by feel for any cuts, snags or bumps which might indicate a problem with the Kevlar lines beneath their protective sheathing.’
- ‘We assigned scores of 0 to missing feathers, and scores of 1.0 to newly replaced feathers with flakes of sheathing at their base.’
- ‘She took the combat knife, turning it over in her hands and stroking curious finger pads along the rubberised waterproof sheathing.’
- ‘It turns out that the bacterium that causes leprosy directly damages a protective sheathing, made of the protein myelin, around many nerve cells.’
- ‘The sheathing had beautiful carvings of the Heaven Dragon and Phoenix, flying around 2 characters in the middle, her own name.’
- ‘I protect the cord with three layers of sheathing, a fluid bath to take up shock, plus a bony housing.’
- ‘The sheathing forms what is called the blood-thymus barrier, preventing antigen contamination of developing and programmed T lymphocytes.’
- ‘The power, reset, and front LED buttons have all been wrapped neatly by clear sheathing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.