One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Protective casing or covering.
casing, covering, sheath, wrapper, wrapping, cover, envelope, sleeve, housing, jacket, capsule, folderView synonyms
- ‘I protect the cord with three layers of sheathing, a fluid bath to take up shock, plus a bony housing.’
- ‘Make sure that only the uncut sheathing is clamped at this opening.’
- ‘What that freezer needs is new insulation, a new compressor, new condenser, new ducting, new wiring, new motors, new mounts, new hinges, new sheathing.’
- ‘She took the combat knife, turning it over in her hands and stroking curious finger pads along the rubberised waterproof sheathing.’
- ‘The power, reset, and front LED buttons have all been wrapped neatly by clear sheathing.’
- ‘The sheathing had beautiful carvings of the Heaven Dragon and Phoenix, flying around 2 characters in the middle, her own name.’
- ‘It has protean ocular manifestations and may present with a spectrum of ocular signs, including anterior and posterior uveitis, retinal vascular sheathing, and optic disc abnormalities.’
- ‘It turns out that the bacterium that causes leprosy directly damages a protective sheathing, made of the protein myelin, around many nerve cells.’
- ‘Military engineers would choose the site, but specialists known in the British army as ‘tin boatmen’ because of the metal sheathing of the pontoons would construct it.’
- ‘Where excess sheathing has been removed, a piece cut from another anchor installation can be used to cover the extra exposed strand.’
- ‘We assigned scores of 0 to missing feathers, and scores of 1.0 to newly replaced feathers with flakes of sheathing at their base.’
- ‘We run each bit of riser through our fingers, checking visually and by feel for any cuts, snags or bumps which might indicate a problem with the Kevlar lines beneath their protective sheathing.’
- ‘The power cable has some UV-reactive blue mesh on it, while the shorter lengths of cable are covered in a UV-reactive blue plastic sheathing.’
- ‘The sheathing forms what is called the blood-thymus barrier, preventing antigen contamination of developing and programmed T lymphocytes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.