One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short knife similar to a dagger, carried in a sheath.
- ‘Settle Town Council responded to complaints by banning a stall from selling air guns and sheath knives at the Tuesday market.’
- ‘Model types range from concealable automatics to multifunctional sheath knives.’
- ‘A double barrelled shotgun lay on the ground, and a sheath knife was stuck in the soil.’
- ‘My fatigue pants were there, as well as my shirt, belt, and sheath knife.’
- ‘Police later found a gas-operated rifle and sheath knife among weapons at his home.’
- ‘It was Rusty who thought a small, useful sheath knife would be appropriate, and Johnson supplied one of his ‘Gochenour’ blades, subtly enhanced to flow with the rest of the rig.’
- ‘From the through-hiker's multiblades to the kayaker's sheath knife, we've compiled five of the best.’
- ‘A total of 708 knives were deposited during the last Surrey Police knives amnesty in December 1995, which ran for a month, and included 262 kitchen knives, 123 flick knives, 89 sheath knives and 59 machetes.’
- ‘It is best known for folding knives, but don't be fooled, they also offer a number of excellent sheath knives.’
- ‘Don't carry your fixed-blade sheath knife right next to your spare pistol magazines.’
- ‘Their compactness and convenience is appealing, but for pure handiness and rough and ready durability, the fixed-blade sheath knife is still king and the choice of most seasoned outdoorsmen.’
- ‘My sheath knife had the standard Bowie blade with a hollow pommel concealing a spool of approximately ten metres of single-strand nylon fishing line, five hooks, and five needles and thread.’
- ‘The sheath knife was a versatile tool, and it continues to symbolize maleness in recreational hunting and fishing.’
- ‘Any sheath knife incapable of taking on such tasks isn't worth carrying.’
- ‘The weapon wasn't a pocketknife or sheath knife, but a stiletto.’
- ‘Many's the hour we would sit round the old camp fire with an old lump of wood and our sheath knives beavering away to produce a scale model of the Taj Mahal or a lifesize model of Twiggy (no pun intended).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.