One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for wels
- ‘The ichthyofauna is represented by over 160 species of fish (mackerels, pikes, pike perches, carps, sheatfishes, crucian carps), the sturgeons (white sturgeons, stor sturgeons, common sturgeons, starlets) being the most appreciated as the caviar is considered to be a culinary dainty.’
- ‘That is why on channels and streams, one usually fishes for sheatfish, carp, perch, bream, crucian, etc.’
- ‘The large sheatfish is also being reintroduced and the watery environment is being restored.’
- ‘We saw anglers in the welcome shade of the willows fishing for sheatfishes.’
- ‘The largest predatory fish of the region, the sheatfish, is not common in the water bodies of Zarasai; only about 10 water bodies of the region, including Vencavai, contain this kind of fish.’
Late 16th century: from an alteration of sheath + fish.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.