Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for wels
- ‘The largest predatory fish of the region, the sheatfish, is not common in the water bodies of Zarasai; only about 10 water bodies of the region, including Vencavai, contain this kind of fish.’
- ‘That is why on channels and streams, one usually fishes for sheatfish, carp, perch, bream, crucian, etc.’
- ‘We saw anglers in the welcome shade of the willows fishing for sheatfishes.’
- ‘The ichthyofauna is represented by over 160 species of fish (mackerels, pikes, pike perches, carps, sheatfishes, crucian carps), the sturgeons (white sturgeons, stor sturgeons, common sturgeons, starlets) being the most appreciated as the caviar is considered to be a culinary dainty.’
- ‘The large sheatfish is also being reintroduced and the watery environment is being restored.’
Late 16th century: from an alteration of sheath + fish.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.