One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person employed on a sheep station during the shearing season to prepare meals for the shearers.‘the dog was exhausted, and I asked the shearers' cook for scraps’
- ‘The shearers' cook saw the animal was a ram and refused to accept it.’
- ‘He survived a period as a shearers' cook with only two stand-up fights.’
- ‘There was a fight between the shearers' cook and his assistant.’
- ‘He bought the bus from a shearer's cook, who'd travelled in it from farm to station to farm station.’
- ‘Not even a shearers' cook could keep these boys sated.’
- ‘The shearers' cook is a recognisable character in Australian literature and folklore.’
- ‘The shearers' cooks lived tough and usually poor lives.’
- ‘The job of shearer's cook is scary, as these shearers are very demanding when it comes to their food.’
- ‘There could be friction between the station cook and the shearers' cook.’
- ‘The man who earned the most money of all on the station was the shearers' cook.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.