One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person employed on a sheep station during the shearing season to prepare meals for the shearers.‘the dog was exhausted, and I asked the shearers' cook for scraps’
- ‘He bought the bus from a shearer's cook, who'd travelled in it from farm to station to farm station.’
- ‘He survived a period as a shearers' cook with only two stand-up fights.’
- ‘The job of shearer's cook is scary, as these shearers are very demanding when it comes to their food.’
- ‘The shearers' cooks lived tough and usually poor lives.’
- ‘There was a fight between the shearers' cook and his assistant.’
- ‘The shearers' cook is a recognisable character in Australian literature and folklore.’
- ‘The shearers' cook saw the animal was a ram and refused to accept it.’
- ‘There could be friction between the station cook and the shearers' cook.’
- ‘The man who earned the most money of all on the station was the shearers' cook.’
- ‘Not even a shearers' cook could keep these boys sated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.