Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An electric razor.
- ‘Once more put the shaver away in its designated place, wedged between a tall bottle of cologne and a can of shaving cream.’
- ‘This is akin to the way some battery-powered toothbrushes and cordless shavers are recharged by wirelessly transmitting electricity to the product as it sits in a charging cradle.’
- ‘But it was known that appliances such as shavers, hairdryers and vacuum cleaners could produce strong alternating magnetic fields - as could electric trams and trains.’
- ‘It is a world leader in the manufacture of colour picture tubes, shavers, lighting, and a number of other electronic products.’
- ‘So why can't he listen to the radio while he fixes shavers?’
- ‘Many of the electrical goods we use today such as the electric iron, shaver, vacuum cleaner and washing machine were invented in the early part of the 20th century.’
- ‘I am on light electrical goods - irons, food mixers, shavers and the like.’
- ‘Under the new rules, manufacturers will be required to pay for the recycling of electrical goods ranging from shavers to refrigerators and laptop computers.’
- ‘I know one officer who nearly strangled his son because he caught him using his shaver, for fear he might cut himself.’
- ‘In case someone wants a late start, the things to associate with Dads are electronics, cameras, DVD players, mobile phones, shavers, of course all packaged with special offers.’
- ‘He grinned and waved an instrument at me that I soon realised closely resembled a shaver.’
- ‘If on the other hand you regard ‘the goods’ as just rotary shavers, or more generally electric shavers or even more generally as shavers, electric or otherwise, then the shape does not result from the nature of the goods.’
- ‘It also noted falling prices in cosmetics, toiletries, home insurance, personal hygiene products and small electric items such as shavers and hairdryers.’
- ‘In his new post, he oversees all functions of lighters, shavers, writing instruments and white-out correction products.’
- ‘The right to use electric or battery-operated shavers was rejected on the grounds that it could be a health hazard.’
- ‘They included smoker's tooth powder, his shaver and polythene bags full of medications and the dreadful Brut aftershave.’
- ‘There are many takers for the latest anti-friction shavers.’
- ‘The lens and tip are checked for scratches, and the tip is checked for chips that may have resulted from a collision with a shaver or other instrument.’
- ‘The device uses magnetic inductive power transfer to recharge its battery - a method presently used to charge batteries sealed inside electric toothbrushes and shavers.’
- ‘I've had but three shavers in my life, all triple-head rotary models: my dad's hand-me-down corded white one, and two I've owned, one silver and one black.’
2informal A young lad.‘little shavers and their older brothers’
youngster, young one, little one, boy, girlView synonyms
- ‘My own boy-hood was one of the best any American could have had, for I was a plucky young shaver who engaged in nothing but the most wholesome and vigorous activities!’
- ‘The young shavers McAllister now finds himself playing alongside every Saturday do not call him Grandad, at least not to his face, but his presence amid so much callow youth will surely benefit tomorrow's would-be notables.’
- ‘Sure, his side is full of young shavers, but surely they are old enough to be able to regulate their bladders by now, we hope.’
- ‘It was a keen disappointment, as I was hoping to see both little N. Aeschylus and Miss Fiske for the very first time, and I wanted the little shaver to play Baby Jesus in our traditional Nativity pantomime tableau.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.