One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fluted conical structure produced in rock by intense mechanical shock, such as that associated with meteoritic impact.
- ‘Ask your tour captain to show you the largest shatter cone found to date, in the world.’
- ‘In 1959 the first man-made shatter cone was produced during an underground nuclear explosion.’
- ‘This mass of shatter cones was found at the Steinheim crater in Germany, a structure that's about 3.4 km in diameter and around 15 million years old.’
- ‘Subsequent work at the Flynn Creek and Wells Creek Basin structures in Tennessee proved that shatter cones from an impact were present there too.’
- ‘At Sudbury, Ontario, shatter cones are frequently observed to lie on approximately planar surfaces.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.