One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Hinduism and some forms of Buddhism) a work of sacred scripture.
- ‘I told Swami that I had come to learn shastras under his tutelage.’
- ‘Neither shastras nor smritis suggest that there exists an immutable, universal moral doctrine.’
- ‘The dharma shastras discuss at some length the issue of unworthy or even dangerous guests, yet advising that no matter what the circumstances, the visitor should at least receive food.’
- ‘During his study of the sastras he became convinced about the inherent weakness in the Advaita philosophy and developed a keen desire to revive the theistic science of Vedas with his own thorough reinterpretation of the texts.’
- ‘The Vedas and shastras are many, but life is very short.’
From Sanskrit śāstra.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.