One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Hinduism and some forms of Buddhism) a work of sacred scripture.
- ‘I told Swami that I had come to learn shastras under his tutelage.’
- ‘The Vedas and shastras are many, but life is very short.’
- ‘Neither shastras nor smritis suggest that there exists an immutable, universal moral doctrine.’
- ‘The dharma shastras discuss at some length the issue of unworthy or even dangerous guests, yet advising that no matter what the circumstances, the visitor should at least receive food.’
- ‘During his study of the sastras he became convinced about the inherent weakness in the Advaita philosophy and developed a keen desire to revive the theistic science of Vedas with his own thorough reinterpretation of the texts.’
From Sanskrit śāstra.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.