One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Britain) a system by which the occupier of a dwelling buys a proportion of the property and pays rent on the remainder, typically to a local authority or housing association.
- ‘The development will provide housing for sale, shared ownership or social rent.’
- ‘As he understood it, individuals' equal land rights are not surrendered to the government in a common property system, but are preserved and given effect through shared ownership.’
- ‘She states that 68 homes for discounted sale or shared ownership have been negotiated since a Housing Needs Survey in 2002 identified a shortfall of 954 affordable homes per year for the next five years.’
- ‘The crux of this new system of housing is shared ownership, a realistic alternative to pure renting which ultimately allows for full ownership.’
- ‘There will also be a balance between private and social housing with 250 homes for sale and 250 homes for affordable rent and shared ownership.’
- ‘The new scheme will include a mix of shared ownership and rented accommodation.’
- ‘It is the largest number of shared ownership properties we have had in Epsom for some time and I am already getting a number of enquiries about it.’
- ‘The Act is remedial legislation, opening up a means of shared ownership not previously available, and as such, should be interpreted so as to best achieve its objects.’
- ‘The key feature of the scheme is the number of homes provided for affordable rent, shared ownership and for key workers.’
- ‘The district council is working with housing authorities to boost the provision of low-cost housing, for rent and shared ownership.’
- ‘It voiced concern that local authorities often fail to recognise the benefits of making shared ownership part of the mix when considering new housing developments.’
- ‘There is also bitter disagreement about the decision to build 100 per cent affordable housing on the site, with most homes being for rent and a small amount for shared ownership.’
- ‘Where once there were insurance offices, there are now 208 flats for discounted or shared ownership, including 72 for discounted rent.’
- ‘They include 90 ‘affordable’ units, 52 for rent and 38 shared ownership, instead of the 51 originally offered.’
- ‘It states that there must be between 25 per cent and 40 per cent affordable housing in all relevant schemes, including a mixture of shared ownership and rented accommodation.’
- ‘Thirty-five per cent would be classed as affordable, of which 61 would be rented and 29 shared ownership.’
- ‘It is understood that officials will discuss all options with the council, including affordable housing, shared ownership and co-op housing schemes.’
- ‘These schemes are small, often mixing rented housing with shared ownership, giving priority to local people when they are allocated.’
- ‘Twenty-six of the homes will be available to rent and nine for shared ownership with the Housing Association.’
- ‘The bill would extend the right to buy to housing association tenants and expand shared ownership under which social housing tenants part buy and part rent their homes, she explained.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.