One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural Shar Peis
A compact squarely built dog of a breed of Chinese origin, with a characteristic wrinkly skin and short bristly coat of a fawn, cream, black, or red colour.
- ‘For connoisseurs of uncommon canines, there's no dog more fascinating than the Chinese Shar Pei.’
- ‘Many Chinese Shar Peis are dominant or aggressive toward other dogs, especially of the same sex.’
- ‘Do Shar Peis have a lot of health problems?’
- ‘The sire was a Shar Pei and was not a Pug, as we had been told.’
- ‘Well-socialised Shar Pei make superb family dogs who are devoted to their owners and children.’
From Chinese shā pí, literally ‘sand skin’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.