One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brimless Russian hat of fur or sheepskin.
- ‘The oddest thing about the shapkas is that I have never seen one with the ear flaps down.’
- ‘We gasped for breath as we hung our fur shapkas on the hat-stand.’
- ‘Fur shapkas, the classic winter headgear, cost from $15 for lowly rabbit to over $200 for fox.’
- ‘But amid the crowd of padded coats and fur shapkas we couldn't tell who was a taxi owner, who was an agent or driver, and who was just a bystander.’
- ‘People roamed the city, adorned in wool overcoats and shapkas ranging in color from brown to black.’
Russian, literally ‘hat’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.