One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
mass noun, usually as modifier Any of various styles or schools of Chinese martial arts developed by the monks of the Shaolin Temple, a Buddhist monastery in China.
- ‘A friend of mine named Trevor, who is also a software engineer, is a student of Shaolin Kung Fu, an ancient Chinese martial arts system.’
- ‘The temple is next to an old athletic association where the Shaolin martial arts have been taught for more than 150 years.’
- ‘He told her about the difficulties he faced while trying to become a Shaolin Warrior.’
- ‘The attribution of Shaolin (or Shaolin temple) to a style was often used to enhance prestige.’
- ‘He takes shelter in the Shaolin Temple, where he forced to undergo thirty-five chambers of the Shaolin monk training.’
- ‘Also opening sometime in September is the much touted Hong Kong flick Shaolin Soccer, about monks who turn their fighting skills to sport.’
- ‘In order to prepare herself, she travels to China for 3,000 days of grueling Shaolin kung fu training.’
- ‘Nor do Shaolin's American adherents seem bothered by Yan Ming's celebrity cachet.’
- ‘Established in the 1980s, Shaolin Martial Arts Troupe made its debut overseas performance in Japan in December 1990.’
- ‘I always went with the bag and stopped at remote and uninhabited places to practise my Shaolin.’
- ‘Number one in China, the Shaolin master himself showed a few moves.’
- ‘Abuses of the Shaolin brand is also seen in China.’
- ‘A close to capacity audience was enthralled by the Masters of Shaolin Kung Fu who made their second appearance in successive years at the Theatre Royal last week.’
- ‘My next-door neighbour was a Shaolin kung fu master and I used to play with his children.’
- ‘Finding the resident clergy weak and prone to the depredations of local bandits, he taught them exercises and self-defence, from which evolved the famous Shao-lin style of martial arts.’
- ‘Hand of Death is set in 17th century China, the Ching dynasty era when Manchu occupiers persecuted the members of the Shaolin sect.’
- ‘There is a comment that today's Shaolin performers know nothing of Dharma and demonstrate nothing about Dharma on their tour.’
- ‘Hung Hei Goon is said to have been Gee sin's top disciple and best of the so-called Shaolin's Ten Best.’
- ‘It tells the stories of four aspiring martial artists and their quest to live a life devoted to Shaolin.’
- ‘He has practiced Kung Fu - Wushu since childhood and has graduated in the Northern Shaolin style.’
From Chinese Shàolínsì, literally ‘young forest temple’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.