One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used as salutation by Jews at meeting or parting, meaning ‘peace’‘‘I'll be waiting for your call’. ‘Au revoir’. ‘Shalom’’
- ‘The song's title refers to the words for peace in Arabic and Hebrew - salaam and shalom, respectively.’
- ‘Maybe digital media could empower religious groups to become producers of shalom.’
- ‘Justice brings shalom, a peace much greater than absence of war.’
- ‘But for all the possible variants, the word and notion of shalom has a radical nuance in our church context.’
- ‘Ladies and gentlemen, friends; good evening, shalom, erev tov.’
- ‘Perhaps she calculated that the shalom of the Syrian commander is the necessary matrix for her shalom.’
- ‘Years ago, it became clear to me that unless I placed my children first, I wasn't going to have shalom, which means integrity or wholeness.’
- ‘Another concept central to this work is shalom, or peace.’
- ‘As the proceedings wore on, he periodically smiled, waved, and called shalom as he left the courtroom.’
- ‘In the face of strife and disease, Africans are leading the search for shalom.’
- ‘How do we make such a vulnerable house into a place of shalom, of peace and security and harmony and wholeness?’
- ‘If our calling as Christians, as Anglicans, is to participate with God in God's mission, then the end to which we all need to be working is that shalom, that reign, that kingdom, where all will be restored to unity with God.’
- ‘The area is meticulously preserved to keep the graffiti messages of peace or shalom that Israelis spontaneously wrote to mourn their fallen prime minister.’
- ‘And, in Christ, you have elevated and demonstrated the cause of shalom, of peace, of wholeness, of unity.’
- ‘The Hebrew word shalom, translated peace, means full salvation.’
- ‘The Second Testament Judean writers used the Greek term eirene for shalom, possessing much the same meaning and usage to apply to the gospel.’
- ‘To understand the biblical concept of peace, reflect on the Hebrew word shalom.’
From Hebrew šālōm.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.