One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Oil obtained from bituminous shale.
- ‘Two other potential energy strikes are tight sands and shale oil, where rock must be fractured using high-pressure water or chemicals to loosen up the reserves.’
- ‘Deep-ocean wells, tar sands and shale oil are all there, but some of them require the use of nine barrels of oil to drill, mine, process and transport 10 barrels of product.’
- ‘There are more expensive fuel sources, such as shale oil, or alternatives, such as renewable energy sources, coal and nuclear power.’
- ‘The first oil refinery in Australia to contain a catalytic cracking unit was at Glen Davis, producing 160000 barrels a day of crude shale oil.’
- ‘Retorting is the process of using heat to decompose the kerogen, converting it into a liquid called shale oil.’
- ‘Two important alternatives to current oil reserves are shale oil and tar sands.’
- ‘The fuels can be fabricated without environmental impact from widely available coal and shale oil with new technologies that capture emissions.’
- ‘In fact, local environmentalists are now fighting a plan to start mining shale oil in the rainforests of North Queensland, arguing that the last thing the world needs is new sources of fossil fuels.’
- ‘The targets are oil, coal, shale oil, and, if you believe the oil industry's press releases, the largest trove of natural gas on the continent.’
- ‘‘Our coal reserves could supply our needs for 300 years, while shale oil could satisfy an additional 130 years of demand,’ Nixon promised.’
- ‘It takes so much energy to get the oil out that the more oil prices rise, the more the cost of shale oil will rise ahead of them.’
- ‘Coal tar and soot were implicated in the elevated skin cancer incidence found in the refining, shale oil, and coal tar industries in the late nineteenth century.’
- ‘Additionally, as Bartlett notes, unconventional fossil fuels, such as heavy oil, tar sands, shale oil, represent an even larger resource.’
- ‘Reserves of shale oil, also known as kerogen, are extensive, especially in North America.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.