One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The female principle of divine energy, especially when personified as the supreme deity.
- ‘Saktas refer to the Supreme as Sakti, Smartas call the Supreme Being Brahman, and to Vaishnavas He is Vishnu.’
- ‘Vishnu, Brahma and Shiva were invoked - then Shakti (the feminine principle) took over, in her Parvati, Mahalakshmi, Saraswati, and Kali aspects.’
- ‘The very first tale tells us that the active force behind creation was Parvati's Shakti rather than Siva's power.’
- ‘In the Smarta sect, Surya is worshiped as a major Deity, along with Ganesha, Vishnu, Siva, Sakti and Skanda.’
- ‘Smartas worship the Supreme in one of six forms: Ganesha, Siva, Sakti, Vishnu, Surya and Skanda.’
From Sanskrit śakti ‘power, divine energy’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.