One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The Muslim profession of faith (‘there is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah’), one of the Five Pillars of Islam.
- ‘The two uppermost bands of the minaret contain religious texts, with the final inscription appropriately chosen as the shahada, the Muslim profession of faith.’
- ‘I took my shahada (declaration of faith) that day.’
- ‘The other would have the shahadah or Muslim confession of faith: ‘There is no god but God, and Muhammad is His Messenger.’’
- ‘Nor has he really been since 1971, when, as a young man in his late twenties, he made his shahadah (the Muslim declaration of faith).’
- ‘Briefly stated, this essential Islam is none other than the first part of the shahadah which every Muslim proclaims numerous times during the course of his or her day: La ilaha il'Llah, there is no deity other than Allah.’
From Arabic šahāda ‘testimony, evidence’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.