Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The power delivered to a propeller or turbine shaft.
- ‘She is propelled by steam turbines with 76,000 shaft horsepower.’
- ‘The craft would be powered by a turbine capable of generating 1024 shaft horsepower dispersed through four gear-shaft driven propellers.’
- ‘I slowed the aircraft to increase shaft horsepower before the fuel-chop - mindful to keep our rpm above 95 percent to prevent flameout.’
- ‘The C - 130J is equipped with four Allison AE2100D3 turboprop engines, each rated at 4,591 shaft horsepower.’
- ‘Mounted well proud of the hull, they were gigantic enough to deliver more than 82,000 shaft horsepower to the water and push this 43,000 ton behemoth along at 25 knots.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.