Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A perforated metal screen situated directly behind the phosphor screen in certain types of colour television tube, having a pattern of precisely located holes through which the electron beams pass so as to strike the correct dots on the phosphor screen.
matte, photomask, shadow mask, masking, masking tapeView synonyms
- ‘They are arguably the highest performing CRTs on the market (if comparing high-end aperture grille monitors to high-end shadow mask monitors).’
- ‘The faceplate portion has a screen to display an image, and the panel portion has a shadow mask installed therein.’
- ‘The convergence test measures how accurately the red/green/blue electron guns are firing at the shadow mask - in this test, white lines should appear if the convergence is correct.’
- ‘There are two basic cathode ray tube technologies: aperture grille and shadow mask.’
- ‘Both provide excellent viewing experiences depending on your preference for an aperture grille or shadow mask display.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.