Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Sexually attractive or exciting.‘sexy French underwear’
sexually attractive, seductive, desirable, alluring, inviting, sensual, sultry, slinky, provocative, tempting, tantalizingerotic, arousing, exciting, stimulating, hotView synonyms
- ‘She was sexy enough to appeal to teenage males but not so sexy that the younger crowd couldn't relate.’
- ‘The claim is the latest bizarre revelation from the sexy star who launched her Hollywood career aged 11.’
- ‘Alec had reached a point in his career when he wasn't going to get any sexy parts.’
- ‘He liked her when she was angry; she was attractive and sexy as hell.’
- ‘Never underestimate how sexy it is to appeal to someone else's laziness.’
- ‘Overall I enjoyed this the most, from the sexy decor to the interesting flavors to the welcoming staff.’
- ‘It was perfect: it was comfortable, it was fashionable, it was sexy but now too showy.’
- ‘Having never been to prison before, I find it intriguing and kind of sexy.’
- ‘She was trying to be fashionable, or sexy, exposing her toes in black sandals.’
- ‘These t - shirts, with their wry references to power tools, are at once sexy, attractive and cool.’
- ‘The sexy star, who has forged a successful solo career outside the band, said their last album was probably their last.’
- ‘In fact, we should be thinking about what is cool, desirable, sexy and fashionable.’
- ‘The strength he emanated and his confidence were sexy but she knew she would never find him physically appealing.’
- ‘I feel sexy and am always interested in projecting that sexiness of a woman in her forties - or older - on to the screen.’
- ‘It's not that I don't find the new generation of female actresses attractive and sexy.’
- ‘I could never do a thing with my hair to look good or sexy or trendy or even cute.’
- ‘Other touches of particular interest include the sexy cut of her pants, often with bordered side slits.’
- ‘The magazine plays a lot of lip service to homosexuality and bisexuality, but so long as they are sexy, skinny, trendy urban hipsters.’
- ‘I still find him sexy and am attracted to him, but I can't tell what he is thinking.’
- ‘Manners are sexy because they demonstrate that you are interested in the welfare of others.’
- 1.1 Sexually aroused.‘neither of them was feeling sexy’aroused, sexually excited, amorous, lustful, passionateView synonyms
2informal Very exciting or appealing.‘business magazines might not seem like the sexiest career choice’
exciting, stimulating, interesting, appealing, intriguingView synonyms
- ‘The interesting thing is that sexy wines tend to come from certain grape varieties and wine growing areas.’
- ‘Milgram was a whiz at devising sexy experiments, but barely interested in any theoretical basis for them.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.