Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person's sexual identity in relation to the gender to which they are attracted; the fact of being heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual.
- ‘We cannot speak for everyone, but we listen to music that we enjoy regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation.’
- ‘Through Student Pride USA I've met student activists of all colors, nationalities, ages, gender identities, and sexual orientations.’
- ‘He'll figure out in his own time what his gender identity / sexual orientation are.’
- ‘Its nondiscrimination policy includes sexual orientation and gender identity.’
- ‘Everyone is encouraged to participate with no reference to sexual orientation or gender.’
- ‘The most important point is that sexual orientation, like gender or race, becomes a new branch of equal opportunities.’
- ‘Feeling free on the dance floor was a big step toward accepting my sexual orientation.’
- ‘But there are many beautiful women in Hollywood, and few generate the same kind of overwhelming interest across genders and sexual orientations that she does; clearly something else is going on here.’
- ‘These include gender, race, sexual orientation, disability and religion.’
- ‘Discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation, gender or race are wrong.’
- ‘It sounds like this dude is down for the rights of other races, genders, abilities and sexual orientations.’
- ‘Might students also be targeted on the basis of race, gender, or sexual orientation?’
- ‘What this means is that all students can choose their room-mates regardless of their assigned legal or chosen genders and sexes, sexual orientations, expressions or identifications.’
- ‘Show Me Love is an emotional roller-coaster ride for viewers of both genders and all sexual orientations, because the feelings it uncovers are universal in nature.’
- ‘Social constructions of gender and sexual orientation are marked by two extremes separated by a vast gulf.’
- ‘Let me ask again, in looking at an artwork, is the gender or sexual orientation of the artist important?’
- ‘It's very seldom I have a negative attitude toward me based on sexual orientation.’
- ‘Others are experiencing conflict and anxiety about their gender or sexual orientation.’
- ‘In addition to race, gender, sexual orientation, disability and whatnot, we need to add genetic heritage.’
- ‘Prior to Wilson's death, the question of band members' sexual orientation had never come up.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.