Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A person's sexual identity in relation to the gender to which they are attracted; the fact of being heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual.
- ‘Through Student Pride USA I've met student activists of all colors, nationalities, ages, gender identities, and sexual orientations.’
- ‘Others are experiencing conflict and anxiety about their gender or sexual orientation.’
- ‘Prior to Wilson's death, the question of band members' sexual orientation had never come up.’
- ‘Might students also be targeted on the basis of race, gender, or sexual orientation?’
- ‘The most important point is that sexual orientation, like gender or race, becomes a new branch of equal opportunities.’
- ‘He'll figure out in his own time what his gender identity / sexual orientation are.’
- ‘We cannot speak for everyone, but we listen to music that we enjoy regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation.’
- ‘Show Me Love is an emotional roller-coaster ride for viewers of both genders and all sexual orientations, because the feelings it uncovers are universal in nature.’
- ‘Feeling free on the dance floor was a big step toward accepting my sexual orientation.’
- ‘It sounds like this dude is down for the rights of other races, genders, abilities and sexual orientations.’
- ‘These include gender, race, sexual orientation, disability and religion.’
- ‘But there are many beautiful women in Hollywood, and few generate the same kind of overwhelming interest across genders and sexual orientations that she does; clearly something else is going on here.’
- ‘What this means is that all students can choose their room-mates regardless of their assigned legal or chosen genders and sexes, sexual orientations, expressions or identifications.’
- ‘In addition to race, gender, sexual orientation, disability and whatnot, we need to add genetic heritage.’
- ‘It's very seldom I have a negative attitude toward me based on sexual orientation.’
- ‘Its nondiscrimination policy includes sexual orientation and gender identity.’
- ‘Social constructions of gender and sexual orientation are marked by two extremes separated by a vast gulf.’
- ‘Everyone is encouraged to participate with no reference to sexual orientation or gender.’
- ‘Let me ask again, in looking at an artwork, is the gender or sexual orientation of the artist important?’
- ‘Discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation, gender or race are wrong.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.