One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Each of six children born at one birth.‘only two other sets of sextuplets have been born in Britain’
- ‘I have a thing for twins/triplets/quartets/quintets / sextuplets / septuplets/etc.’
- ‘The guest speaker was Graham Walton, the father of the only girl sextuplets in the world, who proved an entertaining speaker, regaling the audience with anecdotes about life as the only male in a family of seven women.’
- ‘In a BBC documentary to mark their 18th birthdays, the girls and their parents, Janet and Graham, speak about their extraordinary lives since the birth of the world's first surviving set of all-girl sextuplets in 1983.’
- ‘When the CIA's activities were discovered and reported in Guatemala, Headquarters recommended, ‘If possible, fabricate big human interest story, like flying saucers, birth sextuplets in remote area to take play away.’’
- ‘A woman pregnant with sextuplets has given birth to the five remaining babies more than a week after delivering the first, a hospital official said Saturday.’
- ‘He introduced obstetric ultrasound to Liverpool, where he delivered the Walton sextuplets in 1983.’
- ‘South Africa's first sextuplets, three boys and three girls, are alive and well - born by Caesarean section at 8.10 am yesterday.’
- ‘So we chatted about life, men, sex, my stalker, sextuplets, girls things, birth, weirdos, my fav man etc etc.’
- ‘A woman in the US has given birth to sextuplets and doctors say the three boys and three girls are doing well.’
- ‘While advances in caring for very small infants has brightened the outlook for these tiny babies, chances remain slim that all infants in a set of sextuplets or more will survive and thrive.’
- ‘You're secretly six months along with his sextuplets, which is why you're wearing a corset, to hide it.’
- ‘Across town at Via Christi Medical Center, Sondra and Eldon Headrick were also dealing with the media frenzy generated by the birth of their sextuplets one day after the Tetrick boys were born April 5.’
- ‘We're identical sextuplets, so naturally the four boys all look alike.’
- ‘The sextuplets, born last Friday, have been named David, Nicolette, Jason, Emma, Grant and Elizabeth.’
A group of six notes to be performed in the time of four.
- ‘Here the texture is comprised of rushing chromatic sextuplets in the strings, an approach which is strongly reminiscent of the drowning music heard in Act 3 of Wozzeck.’
- ‘At one point, triplets and septuplets in the left hand are pitted against quintuplets and sextuplets in the right hand.’
Mid 19th century: from sextuple, on the pattern of words such as triplet.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.