Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.‘sexism in language is an offensive reminder of the way the culture sees women’
chauvinism, discrimination, prejudice, biasmachismo, laddishnessView synonyms
- ‘Although by no means easy, it is easier to be increasingly open about your sexuality if you don't also have to be concerned with racism, sexism, and classism.’
- ‘This form of discrimination is as intellectually unjustified as racism or sexism.’
- ‘In general, consciousness of sexism in language is a younger-generation, urban, and politically liberal concern.’
- ‘My point is that ageism is alive and well in our community, and it is, in its worst form, as harmful as racism, sexism, or homophobia.’
- ‘Patriarchy, sexism, heterosexism and globalization are all root causes of this particular form of exploitation.’
- ‘It starts with three friends with deeply personal agendas to condemn fascism, elitism, classicism, racism and sexism.’
- ‘The leftist types I hang out with can discuss this movie for hours with themes of sexism, racism, classism running throughout.’
- ‘We really only know how to talk about racism, sexism and homophobia.’
- ‘It is a practice which perpetuates sexism, sex discrimination and sexual violence.’
- ‘No group in the movement can claim to not be effected by systemic racism, sexism, homophobia, classism, and other forms of oppression.’
- ‘One has only to think of such prejudices as racism and sexism.’
- ‘Another problem is that, to appeal to a human rights commission, one must document racism, sexism and classism separately.’
- ‘It is not possible to fail so effectively that you stop racism, sexism, ageism, humanism.’
- ‘She spoke out repeatedly against U.S. imperialism and was a powerful critic of racism, sexism, and homophobia on the campus.’
- ‘As a consequence, the use of stereotypes can breed racism, sexism, and other forms of bigotry.’
- ‘It's important to analyze the recurring intersection between homophobia and sexism worldwide.’
- ‘You know the litany: sexism, racism, colonialism, homophobia.’
- ‘It's not enough to end sexism if some women are still suffering from racism or homophobia.’
- ‘It means fighting against sexism and its manifestations in areas such as people's attitudes and opinions, advertising and the law, to name a few.’
- ‘Prior productions have dealt with HIV / AIDS, masculinity, sexism, and abuse among others.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.