Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.‘sexism in language is an offensive reminder of the way the culture sees women’
chauvinism, discrimination, prejudice, biasView synonyms
- ‘We really only know how to talk about racism, sexism and homophobia.’
- ‘This form of discrimination is as intellectually unjustified as racism or sexism.’
- ‘Although by no means easy, it is easier to be increasingly open about your sexuality if you don't also have to be concerned with racism, sexism, and classism.’
- ‘As a consequence, the use of stereotypes can breed racism, sexism, and other forms of bigotry.’
- ‘The leftist types I hang out with can discuss this movie for hours with themes of sexism, racism, classism running throughout.’
- ‘It means fighting against sexism and its manifestations in areas such as people's attitudes and opinions, advertising and the law, to name a few.’
- ‘Another problem is that, to appeal to a human rights commission, one must document racism, sexism and classism separately.’
- ‘It starts with three friends with deeply personal agendas to condemn fascism, elitism, classicism, racism and sexism.’
- ‘No group in the movement can claim to not be effected by systemic racism, sexism, homophobia, classism, and other forms of oppression.’
- ‘You know the litany: sexism, racism, colonialism, homophobia.’
- ‘It is not possible to fail so effectively that you stop racism, sexism, ageism, humanism.’
- ‘She spoke out repeatedly against U.S. imperialism and was a powerful critic of racism, sexism, and homophobia on the campus.’
- ‘My point is that ageism is alive and well in our community, and it is, in its worst form, as harmful as racism, sexism, or homophobia.’
- ‘Prior productions have dealt with HIV / AIDS, masculinity, sexism, and abuse among others.’
- ‘It's important to analyze the recurring intersection between homophobia and sexism worldwide.’
- ‘One has only to think of such prejudices as racism and sexism.’
- ‘It is a practice which perpetuates sexism, sex discrimination and sexual violence.’
- ‘In general, consciousness of sexism in language is a younger-generation, urban, and politically liberal concern.’
- ‘Patriarchy, sexism, heterosexism and globalization are all root causes of this particular form of exploitation.’
- ‘It's not enough to end sexism if some women are still suffering from racism or homophobia.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.