Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hormone, such as oestrogen or testosterone, affecting sexual development or reproduction.
- ‘They can even have higher levels of sex hormones.’
- ‘Specifically, Chapter Five reviews the early history of sex hormone research.’
- ‘And, not surprisingly, they are at their peak in levels of the sex hormone testosterone.’
- ‘This natural difference in body composition is largely a matter of sex hormones and gender functions.’
- ‘It starts with testosterone, the male sex hormone.’
- ‘Still, researchers say that the herbicide could be subtly affecting sex hormones in humans.’
- ‘That's because one of the ways it achieves its healthful effects is by mimicking the female sex hormone.’
- ‘Overactive sex hormones called androgens cause glands in your skin to produce too much oil.’
- ‘Extremely toxic to bees, fish and other aquatic animals, these chemicals also have been associated with life-threatening allergic reactions in humans, and anemia and disruption of sex hormones in lab animals.’
- ‘It is acclaimed as an aphrodisiac, not just because of its shape, but because it is rich in the vitamins important in the production of sex hormones.’
- ‘Testosterone is a sex hormone, but it's also an anabolic steroid.’
- ‘Its main function is to produce sperm and testosterone, a male sex hormone, during puberty.’
- ‘Some evidence suggests that excessive exercise and overtraining may exert a similar effect in men, lowering levels of male sex hormones and possibly impairing fertility.’
- ‘Tests that he or she will need to do include blood or saliva tests that measure total estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA-S and sex hormone binding globulin.’
- ‘Although estrogen is best known as a female sex hormone, it exists in small quantities in men, too.’
- ‘These drugs are synthetic substances related to the male sex hormones, called androgens.’
- ‘Male pattern baldness or Androgenic alopecia, is caused by the presence in the body of a group of male sex hormones collectively referred to as androgens.’
- ‘It happens earlier in women than in men, because high levels of sex hormones maintain mineral content of bones.’
- ‘He had also begun experimenting with various sex hormones, to great effect.’
- ‘Melatonin is well absorbed following oral administration and may alter serum sex hormone concentrations.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.