One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Discrimination in employment and opportunity against a person (typically a woman) on grounds of sex.
- ‘No court has ever acknowledged this result in the context of sex discrimination.’
- ‘And sex discrimination by a state government is an obvious Fourteenth Amendment violation.’
- ‘Her other columns on sex discrimination may be found in the archive of her columns on this site.’
- ‘The distinction arises because of the peculiar meaning of sex discrimination for men.’
- ‘But it was wrong to sanction blatant sex discrimination as a way to achieve them.’
- ‘In the 1970s, the Supreme Court held that sex discrimination was unconstitutional.’
- ‘A labor law prohibiting sexual harassment and sex discrimination went into effect in April.’
- ‘It also confronts our judiciary with an instance of sex discrimination that has yet to be recognized as such.’
- ‘Her other columns on sexual harassment and other forms of sex discrimination can be found in the archive of her columns on this site.’
- ‘Her previous columns on sex discrimination and other issues may be found in the archive of her columns on this site.’
- ‘When she was denied promotion and tenure at the University of New Hampshire, she sued for sex discrimination.’
- ‘As a result, not much is known about lawmakers' intent in adding protections against sex discrimination to the law.’
- ‘I see no reasonable prospect of his persuading a tribunal that this was sex discrimination.’
- ‘In order to fulfil the third requirement he must prove the absence of sex discrimination, direct or indirect.’
- ‘Costa alleged that her firing was an act of sex discrimination.’
- ‘This is simply sex discrimination masquerading as readiness legislation.’
- ‘Put simply, if a woman is fired, and a man in her situation would not have been, then that is sex discrimination under the law, too.’
- ‘They are also seeking compensation for unfair dismissal and sex discrimination under European legislation.’
- ‘The legislation is not there to tackle discriminatory treatment but to outlaw sex discrimination.’
- ‘Men often make more than their female partners - a reality that itself is largely the product of sex discrimination.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.