One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Discrimination in employment and opportunity against a person (typically a woman) on grounds of sex.
- ‘I see no reasonable prospect of his persuading a tribunal that this was sex discrimination.’
- ‘In order to fulfil the third requirement he must prove the absence of sex discrimination, direct or indirect.’
- ‘Her other columns on sexual harassment and other forms of sex discrimination can be found in the archive of her columns on this site.’
- ‘It also confronts our judiciary with an instance of sex discrimination that has yet to be recognized as such.’
- ‘This is simply sex discrimination masquerading as readiness legislation.’
- ‘When she was denied promotion and tenure at the University of New Hampshire, she sued for sex discrimination.’
- ‘Men often make more than their female partners - a reality that itself is largely the product of sex discrimination.’
- ‘They are also seeking compensation for unfair dismissal and sex discrimination under European legislation.’
- ‘Put simply, if a woman is fired, and a man in her situation would not have been, then that is sex discrimination under the law, too.’
- ‘And sex discrimination by a state government is an obvious Fourteenth Amendment violation.’
- ‘The distinction arises because of the peculiar meaning of sex discrimination for men.’
- ‘The legislation is not there to tackle discriminatory treatment but to outlaw sex discrimination.’
- ‘Her previous columns on sex discrimination and other issues may be found in the archive of her columns on this site.’
- ‘As a result, not much is known about lawmakers' intent in adding protections against sex discrimination to the law.’
- ‘No court has ever acknowledged this result in the context of sex discrimination.’
- ‘But it was wrong to sanction blatant sex discrimination as a way to achieve them.’
- ‘In the 1970s, the Supreme Court held that sex discrimination was unconstitutional.’
- ‘A labor law prohibiting sexual harassment and sex discrimination went into effect in April.’
- ‘Costa alleged that her firing was an act of sex discrimination.’
- ‘Her other columns on sex discrimination may be found in the archive of her columns on this site.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.