Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chromosome concerned in determining the sex of an organism, typically one of two kinds.
- ‘It is genetic, but not linked to a sex chromosome like hemophilia, so either parent can pass porphyria on to any child.’
- ‘Conditions in which there is an extra sex chromosome are fundamentally different from those such as Down's syndrome in which affected individuals have recognisable characteristics that can be explained by laboratory findings.’
- ‘The Y chromosome is the male-specific sex chromosome that is passed from father to son in the same way that surnames are passed from father to son.’
- ‘That sex chromosome is so new evolutionarily that it doesn't have the stripped-down style of full-fledged Y chromosomes.’
- ‘The abnormal behavior of an unidentified sex chromosome has also been reported in D. subobscura.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.