Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A sexual act.
sexual intercourse, intercourse, lovemaking, making love, sex act, sexual relations, anal penetration, sexual penetration, vaginal penetrationView synonyms
- ‘To call the sex act by its own name sounds brazen, but if in certain circles strong language is the rule, a trope or euphemism is more forceful and effective.’
- ‘The more sex becomes a commodity, the more everything connected with it (even the sex act itself) becomes for sale on the open market.’
- ‘When they think of gay men, they think of the sex act.’
- ‘Your films are terrifically erotic, but they also have literary allusions, and there's often lots of build-up to the sex act itself.’
- ‘Is it really so funny to hear a man express his belief that the sex act is innately degrading to women.’
- ‘These attitudes and values affect the manner in which the genders approach sexuality and, in large measure, contribute to their appreciation of the sex act.’
- ‘It is pornographic in the sense that the sex act is shown on screen.’
- ‘This is not a book to be sold under the counter but a healthy realisation of the Hindu belief that the sex act is central to the human condition and that those involved should gain equal pleasure from it.’
- ‘Further, elementary facts of life indicate that a certain amount of desire is necessary for the sex act to take place at all.’
- ‘With the diminution of the project of progeniture, coitus is viewed as one variation of the sex act, its preference merely a matter of taste.’
- ‘The thought disgusts Sharon, not because of her attitudes towards Charlotte and Robin, but rather because the thought of the sex act itself is revolting to Sharon.’
- ‘Indeed, for many couples, a sexual dysfunction may not only interfere with the sex act but also significantly alter the dynamics of the relationship.’
- ‘Anticipation of future events is what makes our body ready itself for the sex act, it is what motivates us to amass wealth and power, to buy a lotto ticket, to set goals and have aspirations.’
- 1.1the sex act The act of sexual intercourse.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.