Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A sexual act.
sexual intercourse, intercourse, lovemaking, making love, sexual relations, anal penetration, sexual penetration, vaginal penetrationView synonyms
- ‘I don't think there is any inherent power dynamic in any consensual sex act.’
- ‘The thought disgusts Sharon, not because of her attitudes towards Charlotte and Robin, but rather because the thought of the sex act itself is revolting to Sharon.’
- ‘As a man and as a fellow writer, I welcome her effort and her stories, for the world has become a dangerous and obscene place, far more hazardous than any sex act you will find in her book.’
- ‘At least the reporter should have the guts to watch one triple-X sex act before writing about it.’
- ‘These attitudes and values affect the manner in which the genders approach sexuality and, in large measure, contribute to their appreciation of the sex act.’
- ‘When they think of gay men, they think of the sex act.’
- ‘Aristotle believed that each sex act had a direct life-shortening effect.’
- ‘I know an erotica writer who keeps a list of sex terms beside her computer to draw upon whenever she needs yet another way to describe whatever sex act her characters are about to engage in.’
- ‘The more sex becomes a commodity, the more everything connected with it (even the sex act itself) becomes for sale on the open market.’
- ‘They went to his flat in Church Street, Manningham, where he had consensual sex with her and committed another sex act.’
- ‘To call the sex act by its own name sounds brazen, but if in certain circles strong language is the rule, a trope or euphemism is more forceful and effective.’
- ‘Both clients and hotel-based, female sex workers reported using condoms during their last sex act.’
- ‘In other words, is there ever a completely analogous sex act, if desire is so motley?’
- ‘Further, elementary facts of life indicate that a certain amount of desire is necessary for the sex act to take place at all.’
- ‘Use a condom during each sex act to prevent STDs.’
- ‘As he flashed each card, the patient replied that each reminded him of a sex object, or some sort of sex act, or genitalia, etc.’
- ‘It is pornographic in the sense that the sex act is shown on screen.’
- ‘Anticipation of future events is what makes our body ready itself for the sex act, it is what motivates us to amass wealth and power, to buy a lotto ticket, to set goals and have aspirations.’
- ‘Our purpose was to select only those participants who used a condom in the last sex act.’
- ‘Indeed, for many couples, a sexual dysfunction may not only interfere with the sex act but also significantly alter the dynamics of the relationship.’
- ‘Specifically, it is illegal to have your genitals exposed or to be involved in a sex act in public.’
- ‘Is it really so funny to hear a man express his belief that the sex act is innately degrading to women.’
- ‘Your films are terrifically erotic, but they also have literary allusions, and there's often lots of build-up to the sex act itself.’
- ‘One of the things I had to comment on was the most dangerous sex act.’
- ‘Marriage does not mean that a wife renders prior consent to every sex act or any particular one.’
- ‘Any and every sex act is bound to show up on the screen sooner or later.’
- ‘With the diminution of the project of progeniture, coitus is viewed as one variation of the sex act, its preference merely a matter of taste.’
- ‘This is not a book to be sold under the counter but a healthy realisation of the Hindu belief that the sex act is central to the human condition and that those involved should gain equal pleasure from it.’
- ‘Matt was still going at it, but now he was simulating another sex act.’
- 1.1the sex act The act of sexual intercourse.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.