One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A machine with a mechanically driven needle for sewing or stitching cloth.
- ‘These include providing people with sewing machines for cloths making and boxes for fish and vegetable vendors.’
- ‘One problem I often find with sewing machines is missing belt guards and needle guards.’
- ‘Once sewing machines were available, ladies expected more and more complicated clothes to be made for them at lower prices, forgetting that there was often a lot of hand-finishing involved.’
- ‘Karen kept quiet and the mother superior ordered Karen to work at a sewing machine without needles for hours.’
- ‘Double check the threading of your sewing machine to prevent immediate stitching problems.’
- ‘These included sewing machines, knitting and crochet instruments and their supplies of cloth and thread.’
- ‘A universal needle can be used in all household sewing machines that accept a flat shank.’
- ‘In twentieth century wars, factories producing agricultural machines and sewing machines were converted to build weapons.’
- ‘In August 1999, while setting up for a trade show in Utah, the two men were caught in a tornado that destroyed their sewing machines and sent them diving for cover.’
- ‘Thread the sewing machine with monofilament thread in the needle and thread to match the felt in the bobbin.’
- ‘Founded in 1862 as a manufacturer of sewing machines, Opel later built motorcycles before entering the car business.’
- ‘Sewing was still done mostly on a Singer treadle sewing machine, though electric sewing machines became more common near the middle of the century.’
- ‘The artist had acquired a 1959 sewing machine that did chain stitching only.’
- ‘They don't exactly have sewing machines but there is a tailor down the road who could finish them in a day.’
- ‘About 100 employees can work at sewing machines and then hand-deliver repaired costume pieces to singers before they go on stage.’
- ‘Use sewing machine to stitch ribbon in place from top to bottom on both edges of the ribbon.’
- ‘The figures of three adults, a baby and a dog are constructed of patches of cloth stitched with a sewing machine.’
- ‘A sewing machine that allows for a lock stitch both top and bottom has been designed and is now available.’
- ‘Hasina, who knows certain basics of stitching, has oiled her sewing machine.’
- ‘A lounge inside is decorated with old household items, like a piano, sewing machines and white crocheted table cloths.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.