One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Bring something to a favourable conclusion.‘they had the match sewn up by half-time’
conclude, complete, bring to a conclusion, clinch, settle, establish, work out, resolve, decide, secure, tie up, wrap up, put the finishing touches to, set the seal on, seal, confirmsecure, clinch, pull off, bring off, settle, conclude, bring to a successful conclusion, complete, finalize, tie up, seal, set the seal onView synonyms
- ‘Ilkley sewed things up with a great try after Smith released Nulty.’
- ‘Two drop goals sewed the game up with five minutes left and a late interception try merely gave the scoreline a flattering look.’
- ‘Town spurned a fine chance to sew it up with five minutes remaining when Stephen Cross was put clear by substitute Sean Pooley but shot wide with only the keeper to beat.’
- ‘Lightowler and Stones sewed it up for the leaders in the doubles against Wrigley and Lawson.’
- ‘The plan worked, for with just two minutes to go Foster made up for his earlier miss by sewing the game up when he hit his second and Boro's third to round off a competent and winning performance.’
- ‘Two minutes later, Dave Nelson sewed the game up for Thackley following a quick throw-in from Declan Corby.’
- ‘With any other challengers dropping like flies from contention, defeat of the Isle of Wight, plus another away win after, would likely sew it up for the West Lothian collective.’
- ‘Having said that we have got to try to sew games up.’
- ‘Stand-in captain Kevin Nolan sewed things up in stoppage time with a clinical finish to give Bolton their first league victory in three games.’
- ‘He added that the costs associated with the transaction would be ‘relatively immaterial’ and that ‘it will take a couple months to sew it up.’’
- 1.1 Achieve exclusive control over something.‘the courier market has been more or less sewn up by two companies’secure, clinch, pull off, bring off, settle, conclude, bring to a successful conclusion, complete, finalize, tie up, seal, set the seal onView synonyms
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.