One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An amount paid to an employee on the early termination of a contract.
- ‘In addition, government negotiators have proposed a rollback on health benefits, severance pay, and various leave provisions.’
- ‘Ryu loses his job, is robbed of his severance pay and has one of his kidneys removed without his knowledge.’
- ‘After four years of service, she received one month's severance pay, roughly $3,000.’
- ‘If generous severance pay is out of the question, negotiate for other departure perks.’
- ‘The decree stipulates that the severance pay for a worker depends on their working period.’
- ‘Workers who lose their jobs are to receive career support resources, job posting services, extended benefits and severance pay.’
- ‘Try to get the best deal on severance pay, outplacement help, health coverage, bonus, retirement benefits, and stock options.’
- ‘I would take it easy for a few months and go scuba diving and windsurfing courtesy of my severance pay.’
- ‘He gave her a reason for the termination and two weeks severance pay.’
- ‘They are demanding to be paid their June wages, and protesting a delay in severance pay to five laid-off workers.’
- ‘A domestic worker would also be entitled to severance pay of one week for each year of service.’
- ‘The two factories were shifted to Dubai without providing any severance pay to the 400 employees.’
- ‘Even here, the union leadership had negotiated the best severance pay in the industry.’
- ‘The severance pay would be worked out according to the number of years a worker had been with the company.’
- ‘Finally, many did not receive the severance pay and benefits to which they were legally entitled.’
- ‘‘So the severance pay was designed to compensate workers if the company had no other resource but to send them home,’ he pointed out.’
- ‘At issue are wages, severance pay, education subsidies and grievance procedures.’
- ‘Employees will be paid severance pay according to their length of service.’
- ‘He said that after the sacking he received a call offering to increase his severance pay from one week to three months.’
- ‘The employees were given severance pay and job placement assistance or, in some cases, early retirement.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.