One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fix the standards which need to be met in order to qualify for something.‘the school sets the bar high and the students rise to meet it’
- ‘I may be setting the bar a bit too high in the case of this columnist.’
- ‘I just want to set the bar high, because we are in a competition for the future.’
- ‘The company has set the bar even higher in the industry's efforts to address the issue of diversity.’
- ‘The issue is where we set the bar for acceptable behaviour.’
- ‘We are not going to set the bar so high that we're setting ourselves up to fail.’
- ‘We didn't set the bar at perfection.’
- ‘He should explain all of his dealings, and set the bar for the entire field of candidates to provide the truth.’
- ‘Lateral thinking skills allow employees to keep setting the bar higher and exceeding expectations.’
- ‘We always plan to play in the National Championship final, if that isn't our goal we aren't setting the bar high enough.’
- ‘There's no question that the country is better on average at respecting human rights than its neighbours, but that's setting the bar extraordinarily low.’
- ‘It is implicit that both tribunals have set the bar too low in terms of the standard of care.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.