One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in sport) a prearranged manoeuvre carried out from a restart by the team who have the advantage.‘the Germans scored the deciding goal on a set play, off a corner kick in the 15th minute’
- ‘Villanova also is placing a greater reliance on set plays instead of strictly using a motion offense.’
- ‘He asks, ‘What is the longest time the ball has been in play without a single set play?’’
- ‘Straight man-to-man defense began to lose its effectiveness when coaches began to structure offenses using screens and set plays.’
- ‘Rotherham are a big, strong side who rely a lot on set plays.’
- ‘I just needed to refresh my memory on the national team tactics for various set plays, corners and free-kicks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.