One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in sport) a prearranged manoeuvre carried out from a restart by the team who have the advantage.‘the Germans scored the deciding goal on a set play, off a corner kick in the 15th minute’
- ‘He asks, ‘What is the longest time the ball has been in play without a single set play?’’
- ‘Rotherham are a big, strong side who rely a lot on set plays.’
- ‘I just needed to refresh my memory on the national team tactics for various set plays, corners and free-kicks.’
- ‘Villanova also is placing a greater reliance on set plays instead of strictly using a motion offense.’
- ‘Straight man-to-man defense began to lose its effectiveness when coaches began to structure offenses using screens and set plays.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.