One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An excessive willingness to serve or please others.‘a classic example of media servility’
obsequiousness, sycophancy, excessive deference, subservience, submissiveness, fawning, toadyism, toadying, grovelling, cringing, unctuousness, oiliness, abjectness, abjection, cravenness, slavishness, humility, self-abasementView synonyms
- ‘The attitude of deference and servility of the senators facing them was no less nauseating.’
- ‘In no other does the spirit of servility and boot-licking display itself so openly and shamelessly.’
- ‘He never regretted his lack of servility even though he lost the interview.’
- ‘Here, the level of servility is truly astounding.’
- ‘The new predominant service industries require servility over skill.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.