Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The maximum height at which a particular type of aircraft can sustain a specified rate of climb.
- ‘The maximum speed is 287 km/h and the service ceiling is 5,280m.’
- ‘In other words, 25,000 feet is well below the airplane's service ceiling.’
- ‘The 41,000-ft service ceiling of the Avanti is 6,000 ft above that of the B200.’
- ‘Neither its rate of climb nor its service ceiling was as good as that of the lighter MiG - 15.’
- ‘The aircraft has a service ceiling of 22,500 metres.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.