Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A counter, service hatch, or room from which meals are served.‘both bars are serviced by a central servery’[as modifier] ‘servery counters’
- ‘There was a warning at the servery that there would be a delay because all orders were freshly prepared.’
- ‘Although each table has its own menu, it is worthwhile taking a look at the food displayed at the servery before making a final choice.’
- ‘Away from the servery, a small counter enables you to customise your cup with nutmeg, chocolate or vanilla.’
- ‘Moving through the smoking section, we reached the servery.’
- ‘I paid and then moved past the servery to collect appropriate cutlery.’
- ‘This would provide two new meeting rooms, new toilets, kitchens, a servery, storage areas, a reception foyer and small bar.’
- ‘The food all looked very nice when we inspected the servery.’
- ‘The kitchen entrance acted as both servery and the way to an inside room.’
- ‘The shiny wooden floor, smart servery and coloured drapes masking the old roof lights all make for an attractive, modern appearance.’
- ‘On the ground floor is a saloon bar with a food servery, kitchen and customer toilets.’
- ‘Making a further visit to the servery Ann selected a piece of lemon cream roulade.’
- ‘Ann returned to the servery to select the desserts; a coconut tart for herself and an individual Bakewell for me.’
- ‘This is an L-shaped restaurant with a servery at one end.’
- ‘While at the servery, I selected a ham roll which I took with me to our table.’
- ‘There is also room for six people at one end of the servery.’
- ‘While I sat and contemplated the menu, Ann and her cousin went to the servery.’
- ‘The ribs pass beneath the level of the floor, into a glazed pit emerging to form the bar separating the servery from the public space of the cafe.’
- ‘The ground floor also contains a common room, servery, kitchen, meeting rooms and offices.’
- ‘We ordered at the servery and while awaiting our meal viewed the tranquil scene.’
- ‘Available sandwiches and cakes are attractively displayed at the servery.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.