One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting a style of play in which the server moves close to the net after serving, ready to play an attacking volley off the service return.
- ‘Her serve-and-volley game made an immediate impression.’
- ‘He played a masterful grass-court match against Agassi, mixing his acrobatic serve-and-volley game with off-speed shots.’
- ‘One of the saddest inevitabilities in tennis is that in a few years, coaches will look at tapes of this pure and agile serve-and-volley player and realise they've made such an art extinct.’
- ‘But the five-time Wimbledon champion, in reality, was a natural baseliner who consciously adapted to the serve-and-volley style to win on grass.’
- ‘But newer rackets have given enough of an advantage to the return of serve that virtually no one plays the serve-and-volley game anymore.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.