One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Serrated.‘leaves with serrate margins’
jagged, sawtoothed, sawtooth, saw-edged, zigzag, notched, indented, toothedView synonyms
- ‘Although it was later assigned to the genus Nemopanthus, morphological characteristics (e.g., serrate leaves) and its general aspect favor its grouping with I. montana.’
- ‘Within the Trapeziidae, the front and anterolateral margins are serrate or spined, and the orbits are located on the frontal corners of the carapace and are directed anterolaterally.’
- ‘Therefore, the ridges typically appear serrate or punctate.’
- ‘The leaves, about 4 cm by 2 cm are opposite, deltoid-ovate, crenate serrate and green to dark green in colour.’
- ‘The American germander leaf is ovate in shape and has serrate leaf margins.’
Mid 17th century: from late Latin serratus, from Latin serra ‘saw’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.