One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Serrated.‘leaves with serrate margins’
jagged, sawtoothed, sawtooth, saw-edged, zigzag, notched, indented, toothedView synonyms
- ‘Although it was later assigned to the genus Nemopanthus, morphological characteristics (e.g., serrate leaves) and its general aspect favor its grouping with I. montana.’
- ‘The American germander leaf is ovate in shape and has serrate leaf margins.’
- ‘The leaves, about 4 cm by 2 cm are opposite, deltoid-ovate, crenate serrate and green to dark green in colour.’
- ‘Therefore, the ridges typically appear serrate or punctate.’
- ‘Within the Trapeziidae, the front and anterolateral margins are serrate or spined, and the orbits are located on the frontal corners of the carapace and are directed anterolaterally.’
Mid 17th century: from late Latin serratus, from Latin serra ‘saw’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.