Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Combining the serious and the comic; serious in intention but humorous in manner or vice versa.‘a telling serio-comic critique’
- ‘As Sophie, the druggie flatmate, she brings the right level of emotional distance her part, a darkly moulded background eccentric typical of Leigh's serio-comic work.’
- ‘He is currently the toast of Broadway, taking on a serio-comic role in A Day in the Death of Joe Egg.’
- ‘Pickford plays her customarily plucky heroine in a serio-comic role that borrows as much from Chaplin as it does the German expressionists of the period (check out that cinematography and the often-stunning chiaroscuro lighting).’
- ‘So he was always going to have a serio-comic go at all that.’
- ‘They set out to make a serio-comic documentary with an authentic voice.’
- ‘It begins as a serio-comic meditation on people's willingness to tolerate intimacy and accommodate the drives of their neighbours, before shifting into darker territory.’
- ‘Col. Blimp is not really a war movie, since it has no battle scenes, other than one excellent serio-comic sword fight.’
- ‘Using traced photos, Breslin's snapshot style gets at the scenario's serio-comic complications.’
- ‘Eventually, when the serio-comic tone of the film finally shifts completely over into the somber, the movie runs out of energy and limps along to its overdone, far too false start-stop conclusion.’
- ‘But while these are serio-comic documentaries, The Son's Room is not played for so many laughs.’
- ‘This could lead into the territory covered by Pirandello in his play, 6 Characters in Search of an Author, and there is potential for a serio-comic production of the opera which could explore this.’
- ‘Still, its characters are drawn so honestly, it continues to play as a decent serio-comic character study nearly twenty years later.’
- ‘They have a serio-comic essay in Slate about the divergent paths that former politicians take in the United States and Europe.’
- ‘A collection of short stories, On the Yankee Station, appeared in 1981 and was followed by An Ice-Cream War, a serio-comic tale set in East Africa during the First World War.’
- ‘Actually there's only one narrative poem in ‘Other Worlds’, and that is this rather black comic tale of homicide, ‘Volcano Vertigo’, which I think was written in a sort of spirit of serio-comic gusto.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.