Each of a series of thin sections through tissue cut in successive parallel planes, especially for mounting on microscope slides.
- ‘For histologic assessment of infiltrating eosinophils into the lung tissue, serial sections were made and stained with phenol red.’
- ‘In fact, the precise topographic distribution of these angiodysplastic lesions can only be adequately resolved after histologic examination of serial sections of the entire tongue.’
- ‘The anatomy of leaflets and prickles was observed on serial sections of tissue embedded in plastic.’
- ‘In most cases, this was confirmed by the observation of the flagellar axoneme in additional serial sections.’
- ‘The fixed material was embedded in celloidin; the subcutaneous tissue was cut in serial sections parallel to its broad surface.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.