One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sewing machine used for overcasting to prevent material from fraying at the edge.
- ‘Various thread management accessories are available for both sergers and conventional sewing machines to help you modify how the thread feeds.’
- ‘Fancier edge stitches could include binding with Lycra, blanket stitch, pinking, overcast with the serger, or turning under and stitching.’
- ‘Although he's associated with detailed handwork, he happily uses the serger and the sewing machine for many special effects.’
- ‘Tape one - out of the way - to the side of the sewing machine and serger and these essentials will always be at hand.’
- ‘Thread the serger with thread to match the skirt fabric.’
- ‘Toss the completed shirt onto the board behind the serger with shoulders toward the machine.’
- ‘Adjust the serger to a very wide, medium to long stitch to avoid stretched seams.’
- ‘For a butted seam using the serger, completely trim away the seam allowances and use a 2-thread flatlock stitch without trimming.’
- ‘The serger makes quick work of patches - in ways both functional and fun.’
- ‘When removing a needle, keep it threaded so it's easily pulled out if dropped into the serger.’
- ‘Use plastic bags from stores or freezer bags as garbage catchers attached to your cutting table or serger.’
- ‘However, we are so used to seeing serged seams, that I always finish the seams on the serger.’
- ‘If using conventional thread spools, utilize the thread caps that came with the serger to prevent the thread from catching on the spool edge.’
- ‘Some older sergers require special needles that don't have a flat side.’
- ‘The four raw edges of the stitched panel were stabilized with a serger to prevent raveling and folded to the back of the panel.’
- ‘Fast and easy, professional results can be achieved when sewing sweater fabric with a serger.’
- ‘Place the serger on one table, and then the sewing machine on the other.’
- ‘Originally my collection of machines consisted of a very basic sewing machine, and a serger.’
- ‘Rethread the serger with thread that matches the shirt fabric, and adjust for an overlock stitch.’
- ‘To this day, I dread sitting down at a serger, and have the utmost respect for anyone with the gift of building their own wardrobe from scratch.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.