Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A name for Venice.‘the Serenissima's seafaring past’
- ‘For 1,000 years ' La Serenissima ', as the Venetian Republic was known, used military force to carve out one of the world's most successful trading empires.’
- ‘Citizens referred to it as " the most serene republic of Venice ", or simply the" Serenissima " (the Most Serene).’
- ‘It is to the painting's credit that Roberts was able to transfer his vision of the Serenissima to the city in which he lived and worked.’
- ‘La Serenissima is alive with bells.’
- ‘In the week before Lent, "La Serenissima" offers a wondrous show on a wonderful stage.’
Italian, feminine of serenissimo most serene.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.