Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Occurring or discovered by chance in a happy or beneficial way.‘a serendipitous encounter’
chance, accidentallucky, fortuitousunexpected, unanticipated, unforeseen, unlooked-forcoincidentalflukyView synonyms
- ‘In a serendipitous coincidence, the Arts Council's new plan included a focus on criticism as an art form.’
- ‘And this was totally serendipitous, unexpected, it just came out as we started writing this material up about a year ago.’
- ‘Sometimes success is as much accidental or serendipitous as planned.’
- ‘Her career was a collection of serendipitous and fortuitous events that entice one to believe she was fated to succeed.’
- ‘Formerly independent inventors had less say in what they would investigate and less room to follow their serendipitous discoveries.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.