One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A variety of wine grape grown chiefly in Madeira.
- ‘Plantings of the traditional varieties Sercial, Verdelho, Bual, and Malvasia are slowly increasing once again since their rout as a result of phylloxera.’
- 1.1 A dry light Madeira made from the Sercial grape.
- ‘The name is used on Madeira labels to indicate a medium-dry style somewhere between Sercial and Bual, with nuttiness and a just discernible amount of sweetness.’
- ‘Vintage Madeira, especially Sercial, is capable of many decades' bottle ageing.’
- ‘The driest is Sercial, aged for at least eight years.’
- ‘The 5-Year-Old Sercial and 5-Year-Old Verdelho are way too sweet, lacking acidity; they taste like sugar water with caramel flavoring; for the tourist trade.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.