One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A programmable electronic device for storing sequences of musical notes, chords, or rhythms and transmitting them to an electronic musical instrument.
- ‘My main instrument is the guitar, although I also use keyboards, synthesisers, and sequencers in my musical meanderings.’
- ‘Understated but well-placed sequencers on ‘Our Town,’ the impressive and sweeping album opener, work.’
- ‘The singer was one of these gutteral-voiced types and the guitarist seemed to spend more time tuning his guitar than actually playing, whilst the synths and sequencers drowned everything else out.’
- ‘If you wanted, for instance, to send the output of an analog sequencer to multiple synths, you had to literally provide a sequencer for each synth.’
- ‘Their electronic stuff is not dominated by a sequencer: tempos are loose and free.’
- ‘They then were asked to record the pieces, via a MIDI sequencer, in an expressionless manner.’
- ‘The foursome play along seamlessly to a sequencer which provides not so much backing as flavourings; electronic percussion and samples from the outer edge of somewhere.’
- ‘Also, a fourth model for each phrase was created that was expressionless - the MIDI sequencer was programmed to have mechanically uniform levels of dynamics and tempo throughout the model.’
- ‘Chuck out all the props, swap instruments, sit down at a sequencer and learn how to make music in a new way.’
- ‘They haven't added drum machines or sequencers.’
- ‘For example, you could have a suite of analog drum synths controlled by a sequencer.’
- ‘A tracker resembles a looping pattern MIDI sequencer.’
- ‘The basic design of a tracker is similar to a MIDI pattern sequencer.’
- ‘At the same time, you kind of forget - what with all of the keyboards and the sequencers - how fast the show moves.’
- ‘Kraftwerk used and combined synthesizers, vocoders, custom-built sequencers, rudimentary rhythm boxes, and home made drum pads in a fashion unlike anything previously heard.’
- ‘The way he plays is not the way we play - he uses stuff like sequencers.’
- ‘There is no provision for real-time instrumental or expressive input at all, unless you use a separate MIDI sequencer and do a lot of file swapping.’
- ‘We're not using any loops, samples or sequencers for our shows.’
- ‘An additional benefit of this setup is that it allows transfers between any two sequencers on either Mac or PC platforms.’
- ‘On the first album, the sequencers added a modern element and gave the songs their thickness and warmth.’
An apparatus for determining the sequence of amino acids or other monomers in a biological polymer.
- ‘One representative of each gene was subcloned and sequenced using cycle sequencing and an automatic sequencer.’
- ‘Going straight from the microbial to the human genome was a big step because when we set this up we didn't know for sure that the DNA sequencers would work.’
- ‘The center's laboratory was recently equipped with a DNA sequencer, an apparatus that allows her to identify individual fish by their genes.’
- ‘DNA sequencing was carried out using the dye termination kit and an automatic sequencer.’
- ‘The sequencer can automatically analyze multiple runs of 96 DNA samples, making unattended 24-hour operation possible.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.