Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A Bantu language of southern Africa, the main member of the North Sotho group and spoken by about 4 million people. It is one of the official languages of South Africa.Also called "Northern Sotho"
- ‘Her poems are crafted about the identity of black people in South Africa and she writes in Setswana and Sepedi.’
- ‘Southern Sotho utilizes click consonants in some words, while Sepedi does not have clicks.’
- ‘For Mulholland, it would be tragic or comical for our students to choose another African language such as Sepedi as a second language.’
- ‘Our questionnaire elicited views on, and experiences of, forced sex and was provided in nine languages: English, Sesotho, Sepedi, Setswana, Setsonga, Tshivenda, IsiZulu, IsiXhosa, and Afrikaans.’
- ‘The main languages spoken by its supporters are isiXhosa, isiZulu, Sepedi, Setswana and Sesotho.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.