One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A court order for the legal separation of a married couple.
- ‘In 1878, the magistrates courts were given jurisdiction to grant a separation order where a husband had been convicted of assault of his wife, and to order him to pay her maintenance.’
- ‘The Magistrates granted her a separation order and 10s per week.’
- ‘She obtained a separation order from her husband for cruelty of an unusual kind.’
- ‘My Grandmother obtained a separation order against my Grandfather on the grounds of cruelty.’
- ‘The Supreme Court ruled that the 1989 Judicial Separation Act is constitutional, when it dismissed the appeal of a Cork man whose wife obtained a separation order and had him barred from the family home.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.