One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Divide people or things into superior and inferior groups.
- ‘After more than two decades of judging I have found no way to separate the sheep from the goats, except by taking a close look at each case.’
- ‘British manners and social codes, as many a bemused American expatriate has discovered, are almost impenetrably arcane, their subtlety and complexity aimed precisely at separating the sheep from the goats in class terms.’
- ‘Sarah has obviously discovered success is a very good way of separating the sheep from the goats.’
- ‘Doing this at global scale alongside a continuing competence in performance management is a real challenge and one that will really separate the sheep from the goats.’
- ‘This stage can really separate the sheep from the goats.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.